Saturday, October 2, 2021

Oklahoma Sooners vs. Kansas State Wildcats

 Happy college football Saturday, friends. The Sooners are taking on Kansas State in Manhattan and, oh boy, am I puckered up for it. The Sooners are 4-0 and have done quite literally just enough to win the last two weeks. Now they find themselves playing on the road for the first time against an always game Wildcat squad. In sports, the past is not always prologue but today we've got what look to be two fairly matched teams, especially on defense. It will come down to who is toughest. The Sooners have proven to be tough enough so far. Can they do it again today?

OFFENSE

Well, Spencer Rattler has taken much heat both in this space and from his own home fanbase. It turns out that maybe the offensive line is a little shitty. The Sooners inability to run the ball is costing them dearly. Today we need to find out if the offensive line can improve and if Lincoln Riley can draw something up to carve out some semblance of a run threat. I still cannot for the life of me understand why Kennedy Brooks is not getting more touches. My peanut sized football mind can't figure it out.

All this talk about the line and the run game and yet what the Sooners will especially need today are some big plays which have also been notably absent. Marvin Mims needs to bust out and apparently he has been moved back into more of a slot position. Jaden Haselwood has been good too. But where is the space and separation? Where are the easy throws. I am, again, much vexed.

For my OPOG I guess I'll go with Michael Woods II. He gets a lot of targets and seems to make the most of them. I can't believe I'm guessing on offense but here we are. 

DEFENSE

A quick look at Kansas State statistically would indicate that they like to run the ball a lot and might use multiple QB's. Once again, holding the opponent to 21 should be enough and would be beyond enough in recent years. 

The Sooners need more than that today. Again, no big plays. This Deuce Vaughn (RB, KState) needs to graduate because he's a major pain in the ass. If the Sooners can shut him down maybe they can get a pick or two on some obvious passing downs.

For my DPOG today I'm taking a page of Nate's playbook and going Delarrin Turner-Yell. He was all over the field last week and hopefully can wreak some havoc this week.

THE SCORE

Oh baby I'm nervous. I just don't see the offense busting out so the defense just needs to keep things close and count on Rattler et al to gut it out. Thankfully we have the nations best field goal kicker who is liable to get 4 scores today. That still may not be enough.

Sooners 27, Wildcats 21

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment