Saturday, October 16, 2021

TCU

The fighting Gary Pattersons make their way up to Norman today for a showdown with our beloved Oklahoma Sooners. The Sooners come in to this one fresh off of the most improbable victory that I can remember. A victory that prompted me to ride a bipolar roller coaster of emotions that included turning the game off after the first quarter, taking the OU flag down off of my house and then fielding a (very rare) phone call from my nephew imploring me to turn the game back on and finally me witnessing the bliss of Kennedy Brooks putting a stamp on the epic comeback.  It was Sooner Magic in vintage form and I can't get enough. Oh and Caleb Williams appears to be the anti-Rattler. That is to say, stepping up in the face of pressure and taking over the game. It was a beautiful thing to watch and I can't imagine that we go back to Rattler at this point. TCU is always a tough game, and there is strong letdown potential after last week. I think the Sooners are in for another close game.

Offense

I'm so excited for the Caleb Williams era. Dude was an absolute monster last week coming off of the bench. But, what a precipitous fall for Spencer Rattler! Basically he was the consensus favorite for the Heisman and presumptive first overall draft pick in next year's draft. Now? Presumably benched for a true freshman wunderkind. I can't think of a precedent for this, and if there is, they are few and far between. I hope Caleb Williams is lead-pipe-lock for OPG for the remainder of his Sooners career. But, I think this game is close and I think the Sooners lean on Kennedy Brooks again this week. He's my OPG with another huge effort.

Defense

As fun as the game was last week, the Sooner D looked pretty shitty last week. That said Nik Bonitto was again big in the Red River Shootout. I think he's the guy again today as it's becoming painfully, sadly, difficult to come up with other options.

Score

The Sooners are favored by 13.5 in this one. Coming off of last weeks miracle and coupled with an always sound TCU squad, I can't see the Sooners covering. I think the D looks shaky again and TCU keeps it close. But, I think the Sooners find a way yet again and win this at home 31-27.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment