Saturday, October 30, 2021

Tech

Last Saturday, in the midst of a complete abortion of a first half against KU, I remarked to a friend that this Sooners team is incredibly hard root for. I love 8-0, but man has it been a headache getting there. Tulane is 1-6, KU is 1-6 and the rest are slew of mediocre teams. What do they all have in common? They've all pushed the Sooners to a 4 quarter effort and narrowly lost. Aside from Western Carolina, OU has been absolutely mediocre in doing just enough to win each game, but not nearly enough to put anyone away until the final whistle. It's brutal. If it continues, the chances of OU lucking out close win after close win to run the table are almost nil. The schedule gets tougher going forward, and by that I mean they're playing teams with winning records, starting today with Texas Tech. Who, while in disarray, still must be salivating at the opportunity to play against the tire fire that is the OU defense. 

Offense

The road to greatest freshman QB in OU history took a slight turn last Saturday with Williams looking decidedly average in a first half in which the Sooners failed to score. No one was calling for Spencer Rattler, nor should they be, but with the defense OU has, there aren't many teams that they can afford to lay an egg for a half against. While I love CW still (that strip of Brooks for a first down will go down as the stuff of legend in OU history), I think the key to this offense is getting Kennedy Brooks rolling early. I like the Sooners to regroup and pound the ball on the ground today. Brooks is my OPG.

Defense

Aside from the Western Carolina game, this defense has positively elite at allowing other teams to stay on the field and in turn, in games. Last year felt like steady progress throughout the season up to the last game where OU had, dare I say, a competent D. Unfortunately the Sooners don't really seem to be getting any better. The things they are bad at warrant an entire book, so forget about trying to do it in one paragraph. Alas, I will try to remain optimistic, but we are nearing the point where I stop picking anyone. I'm going to pick Isaiah Thomas today in hopes that he makes life miserable for the new starting QB for Tech.

Score

Tech comes in amid some turmoil. It's Sonny Cumbie's first game as HC and he has a new QB under center (I think, I'm too lazy to check). This should be a ripe opportunity for the OU D to "get right". But if there is anything I'm sure of, it's that they will not be able to get off of the field on 3rd down and this one will be (sigh) much closer than it should be. The Sooners are favored by 19, I don't think they cover, but they keep the win train rolling. Sooners win 38-30.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment