Saturday, October 16, 2021

Oklahoma Sooners versus Texas Christian Horned Frogs

How about that 21 point come from behind victory against the reviled Longhorns, Sooner fans? And how about that Caleb Williams? Should he start? 

  • The Sooners had 500 yards and scored every time he touched the ball when he was in the game.
  • The Sooners are trying to win games not please parents.
  • What message does it send to the rest of the team if you start Spencer Rattler?
  • Rattler was benched for his play, not for an injury.
In short, I'll be shocked if Williams doesn't start. He earned the time the same as any other position. The Sooners are at home and prohibitive favorites. If he's ineffective you bench him. For now, today, he has beat out Rattler. I would be stunned if he doesn't get the call. The offense has not been firing under all cylinders with Rattler thus far. We got a taste with Caleb Williams. Sooner Nation is dying to see how the Cadillac drives. 

OFFENSE

I would love to pick Kennedy Brooks for my OPOG today but loyal readers already know where this column is headed. Brooks has landed on my just announced All Underrated  Running Back Team. He joins Demarco Murray and Samaje Perine in this century and Greg Pruitt from last. Brooks performance against Texas was so strong and he continues to get no love.

Appropriately, we're riding the Caleb Williams train today. The guy has an extra level and electricity that comes through the television. When he trots on the field today the crowd is going to lose their shit. This dude has it.

He's my OPOG and it's job until he loses it. I love how he stuck in the pocket, commanded the offense and made confident throws. He's got this.

DEFENSE

As per usual I have no idea what TCU brings on offense. I'm guessing an average QB who will play solid but throw at least one really dumb INT. They'll have a running back who is solid between the tackles but won't get to 100. I bet they have one really good wide receiver who will expose Jaden Davis or Latrell McCutchen. 

Today I expect a defense that has consistently done "just enough to win" to be their usual selves but they'll shine because the Sooner offense will look more like its expected self. 

For my DPOG I'm going Shane Whitter. He caught my eye last week. Maybe I should rename this award to the Hot Hand on D because that's how I roll. 

THE SCORE

I like the Sooners big on what otherwise might be a letdown alert for a few reasons. First, Caleb Williams starting. Second, homecoming. Third, at night. Iowa is losing at home as I write this. Anything can happen any week. But with factors in play that give the Sooners an extra edge there is no letdown today.

Sooners big. OU 49, Horned Frogs 17.

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment