Saturday, September 18, 2010

Air Force

OK, So I was out pretty late last night and honestly I think I'm still drunk. That's probably irrelevant. Air Force comes to Norman today, and by all accounts they've perfected the option and are likely to run it straight up our ass all day long. Well, I have no doubt they'll get their yards but I don't think they're going to destroy us with it. Granted, they've ran it on some pretty good teams and have hung around with a few teams they probably have no business hanging around with. Basically their lack of really talented players have forced them to figure out one thing they can do (the option) and then just keep doing it until they've nearly perfected it. However, while Air Force has played almost everyone competitively the last few years since Fisher (dingle) DeBerry retired/fired/quit (whatever he did, because really, who cares?), I think that playing a legit title contender on the road (not to mention that they currently maintain the nations longest home winning streak) may be a bigger challenge than they're used to. Of course this is the biggest game of their careers and as such we will get their best shot. In that vein, I'm guessing we see a little deviation from their bread and butter early with some play action and some deep shots down the field attempting to catch us with only the run game in mind. But, unlike most of the nonconference schools we play, they are not going to abandon what they normally do in order to fake punt their way to a moral victory. Which is why I like us in today's game. I definitely think they'll get some yards on the ground. In fact, I think they'll get a good chunk more than we're A) used to giving up and B) going to allow by any other team. I imagine there will be moments where the Sooner faithful are pretty pissed off at the fact that we can stop the option. However, I think we will also blow them up a few times more than that and really take it to them defensively.

Also, I know Stoops wants it really to be home of the "brave" at the end of the national anthem but I frankly don't give a shit who we're playing, I'm a big fan of stirring up the home crowd any way we can (even if that move was bitten off of a number of NFL teams, the Chiefs who I might hate more than Texas have been doing that shit since the early 90s). So let's hope the crowd today wasn't terribly distorted by our absolute dismantling of FSU last week, and stay in it even if we don't necessarily do what we want when we want on every single play. I love a game like last week as much as anyone, but to have the expectation that it will happen every week is absolutely ridiculous (possible even ridonkulous, sp?). On to the awards.

Offense

This week I really like Lonnie again, I know this makes two weeks in a row but I'm feeling him and if he can put together two starts in a row like last weeks', then I think that sets him up well to be supremely confidant (what we need) in a tough first road game. I think Air Force spends all of their time in practice playing against an offense that essentially runs the ball (nearly) every down. As such, I think they do a nice job of limiting our run game (clearly our weak point, in spite of the Utah State game). Our O-line hasn't been opening up serious holes since 2008 (possibly the most experienced/best offensive line of the Stoops era, oh and a future #1 overall pick to think about in regard to the passing game), and I don't think we figure that out with this team for at least another couple of weeks and that is being optimistic. As such I think we'll be dedicated to the run game today, as always, but I don't see it really catching fire and I think we'll be able to throw it. Especially if Cameron Kenney really has stepped up into the number two receiver role. I like Lonnie for 300+ and 3 TD's again.

Defense

When facing a team that runs at all costs it seems obvious to pick someone in the front 7 to have a big week. I think guys will up there, and we may even have a Ronnell Lewis sighting in our base set, but I think they are good enough at doing their thing that they will have the guys up front accounted for on a fairly regular basis. That's why I'm going with my second repeat of the young season and picking Quinton (motherfuckin') Carter. I think he's flying around, coming up on blitzes and run support in general. They'll be feeling pretty good getting the front guys accounted for only to have necks broken by a full steam QC hitting the holes faster than their RB's. I like him for 10 tackles today and a forced fumble. That's right, I'm being that specific, so you can suck it.

As for the final score, I like us in this one and I think we'll get a hot start. However, I for some reason feel like the offense might still a bit in the middle of the game. So, I think they'll hang around more than anyone wants them to. I think we'll pull away late and hopefully make the score look like we destroyed them for the benefit of the pollsters who only look at box scores. I like the final to be 36-17. I'm ready to destroy these rotten bitches.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment