Saturday, September 11, 2010

Florida State - the return of Doomsday McGoo

Well, Mitch has predictably put together a well written, well thought out post full of words with more than two syllables. Now I'm going to attempt to drag my knuckles through a post and not chip any of my prominent front teeth on whatever stationary object may be in front of me. Old crimson colored glasses seems confident that last week was the requisite wake-up call on our march to another national title. I feel less confident. How many times in the last few seasons have we struggled against someone clearly inferior and chalked it up not being ready, looking past them, etc.? In fact, I've dared blaspheme that this is becoming alarmingly regular for Bobby and his staff. I, for one, am sick and tired of playing under the notion that just setting foot on field is enough to win games. How about playing like we really want it. The Texas Tech home game from two years ago is the last time I can remember us really looking like we wanted to eat babies. All of that said, I still think we will win this game. In fact, out of a decade of picking games like this each week I've never picked the Sooners to lose (homer much?), and don't plan on breaking that streak today. After jabbing Stoops not three sentences ago, it's telling that I've been wrong only 28 times in his tenure. So let's get to FSU.

The first season for FSU without Bobby Bowden since powdered wigs were in style had a pretty auspicious debut over a pretty shitty team. Essentially they did what everyone thought we would do last week to Samford. So it appears that everyone is ready to crown Jimbo Fisher's ass. By the way, nice fucking name. Jimbo? Really, Jimbo? Is he a 50's greaser? In that same vein, Christian Ponder is potentially going to miss this start with a raw dick from the media relentlessly jerking him off all week. While I'm on the subject of stupid fucking names, Christian? If your parents name you Christian and you elect to be called that over Chris then fuck you. You've sealed your fate as a douche. I knew a guy who was called that once, and I felt like giant tool every time I was forced to call him by name. If you make other people feel like a tool then go by something else. Basically, I think this guy is a fuck and I hope we pummel him early and often. By all accounts he's a terrific passer with a terrific arm, a better passer than the guy we saw last week, but not as mobile. Which, I think bodes well seeing that if there is one thing that has consistently given our defense problems over the last several years it's a mobile QB who can improvise. Now, the flip side of that, as it relates to today, is their offensive line is considerably more seasoned and generally better all around than the one we saw last week. This will make it difficult to set up camp in their backfield with guys like Beal, as Mitch alluded to. However, I believe Frank Alexander is back this week (an early fringe candidate for MF'er this year), which will give them one more legit pass rusher to think about. This battle (the line) will absolutely determine the game, on both sides of the ball (I'm Navin, I like to make long winded posts concluded with obvious comments). On to the awards...

Defense

I'm starting with the D this week. I think these guys are feeling pretty sick and tired of being told they will be carved by Christian Ponder this week. I think the secondary is going take a step forward today and eliminate some of the gaffs from last week. I think we will give up some yardage, and some big plays but I think we'll stop enough of them to put up some more respectable numbers than last week, and against a better team. However, I'm going in another direction this week. I'm taking Travis Lewis on that side of the ball. Everything I've read from him after last week indicates he is one pissed off  motherfucker about the way the D was abused by Utah State. I think this week is the first time we say, "holy shit, he's everywhere out there". I like him for not only his standard dozen tackles or so, but something big possibly a forced fumble, or a couple of sacks.

Offense

Here, I really can't argue with Mitch and his DeMarco Murray pick, that guy was the reason we won last week. He can do it all, but with Mossis "My Dog" Madu, back he will get fewer touches I think. I'm going slightly outside of the box and picking Lonnie to be my player of the game. Playing on the same theme of "something to prove" that I did with Lewis, I think Lonnie bounces back this week. I'll even say he turns it over once, but I think he clears 300 yards and throws at least 3 TD's. In a related note, I think another receiver emerges this week to take some heat off of the hardass that is Ryan Broyles (Kenny Stills, please report to the wide side of the field). I'm going to keep harping on names here, I really like the name Kenny Stills. He sounds like someone destined to be a stud, especially at WR. "Hey, who do you think is the best WR of Stoops' career? I'll tell you who I like, Kenny Stills" Sounds legit 'eh? Anyway, if Lonnie doesn't bounce back, then I think it's the beginning of the end for him and suddenly his career will feel a lot more like Hybl than Heupel.

Sooners in this one, but I think it will be a struggle from the beginning. I think we come out strong and hold off a hungry FSU team in the second half to win. Turnovers are huge and I think we will win that battle. I don't imagine Bobby has much interest in being out-defensed  (I may have made that word up) by his younger brother.

Final Score 31-27 in favor of the Sooners. Lives up to the billing as well.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment