Monday, September 13, 2010

Semolition

Ha! Get it? It's like I mixed demolition with Seminole! Whew, with those snappy titles I'll beating off suitors with both hands...er, nevermind. Anyway, that was a ball stomp in its purest form. Aside from the first drive of the game for FSU, we absolutely dominated in all phases of the game. We single handedly ended Chris Ponder's Heisman campaign. I would have never guessed it would be that lopsided, hell not even Sunshine and Lollipop's Mitchell  guessed it would be that bad (although he was much closer to being right than I was). I thoroughly enjoyed the game and hope it sets the tone for the season. I also hope the Lonnie we saw Saturday is more true to form than the one we saw in week 1. He looked really good and only really missed on a couple of balls that I can think of off hand. Defensively, that was a totally different team out there. Good pressure, and even better downfield coverage. The return of Frank Alexander (see: 2 sacks) was huge, and I don't think I'd be the only one to say that Tony Jefferson looks as though he may be the real deal.

Mitch, what was the crowd like on Saturday? It seemed solid on TV, but then it's easy to be pumped when the team is imposing it's will on the other team in all phases.

From the pat myself on the back and effectively jinx myself out of ever predicting anything accurately again category (not the snappiest title for a category), this is the second week in a row that I confidently say I predicted the offensive player of the game nearly to a statistical T. One could even make a case that I nailed defense too, but Travis Lewis was rather quiet in getting 6 tackles and a pick. Lonnie dominated and really the only thing I missed was that he didn't throw the pick I thought he might. Though Kenny Stills teased me with a couple of early grabs, Cameron Kenney stepped up for the time being as our top second option at WR. In addition to some nice catches and a TD, his block downfield sprung James Hanna on his TD grab. We'll see if he's really figured it out or if it's a repeat of last season where seemingly every week someone new was poised to break out.

Air Force is unique challenge, so much so that according to the Oklahoman, we actually took some time in fall camp preparing for them (precious time not even afforded to the likes of Texas or FSU). They currently lead the nation in rushing (generally what we excel at stopping), and I'm sure they'll get some yards but I think we'll be ready. Of course, I'll get into that more later in the week. For now I'm enjoying this drubbing for the next couple of days. I'm hoping we keep building and getting better.

Finally, as the season plays out in it's early stages, I'm becoming increasingly glad we didn't name Ronnell Lewis MF'er. While he absolutely murdered that poor fellow on that kick return, he's largely been absent from anything meaningful. Part of that is because we seldom run the base 4-3 these days. While it's a bummer he's not in, I'm guessing if he was truly dominating the coaches would find a way to get him out there regardless of the set. On the flip side, Quinton led the team in tackles this week and has generally been a dominant force. I'm pretty damn fired up.

No comments:

Post a Comment