Friday, September 10, 2010

OU - FSU Gameplan/Strategy/Hope/Prayer

You'd be hard pressed to find a 1-0 team whose stock dropped more precipitously than the Sooners did this past week. A poor showing at home to the inferior Aggies of Utard State (a clever name courtesy of the father-in-law) and a Florida State asswhoopin' of Samford will do that.

So it's Week 2 and already Sooner Nation finds itself at a fork in the road. The Sooners can live up to the anti-hype or take it as the proverbial "warning shot across the bow" and get their shit together. I've spent all week talking myself out of the former and into the latter. I've been successful. I'm now convinced that this narrow loss was the perfect splash in the face of cold water that this Sooner team needs heading into their biggest non-conference game of the season. I'm convinced the defensive miscues of last week are correctable as opposed to brain farts to be endured all season.

FSU is also at a crossroads. Are they as good as everyone currently fellating them says? Or are they poised now for some come-uppance because OU is no Samford?

I guess what I'm saying is I have questions and, come Saturday evening, there will be some answers.

This will be a hell of a game if OU comes out playing like their hair is on fire and FSU does the same due to the fact they inexplicably believe in themselves like no other time since 2001. There is much talk of superior athleticism on the FSU sidelines.

In addition, two Stoops brothers will be facing off for the first time. I can't imagine how badly these two would love to beat each other. I can imagine that both defensive units are aware of the situation and frothing at the mouth to win for their respective coach.

I'm expecting a close game with some special teams fireworks.

On Offense
At the risk of getting into a rut (by alternating all season between DeMarco and Ryan Broyles) I'm going to say DeMarco Murray. He's clearly the bell cow and he's going to be pivotal in keeping Lonnie from smearing his britches all day. He looked like an elite runner last week. He had the glide. I've got a real good feeling he's going to take a kickoff to the house.

Tangentially, if DeMarco is healthy all season, where does he rank in OU history? I have a feeling his legacy will be somewhat diminished because of how smoothly he runs. He's not a freight-train like AD. He doesn't have the novelty of size or the pinball action of Q Griffin. But he's better than pretty much everyone else in the Stoops era wouldn't you say?


On Defense
I like Tom Wort here. I have quickly become a believer. The guy was all over the place against Utah State and he just looks like a mean motherfucker. I am perfectly content with him manning the middle. 

My question is does he speak with a British accent? I didn't know he spent a good portion of his childhood in England as this article says. If so, that's badass.

The important question for the Sooner defense is can they get pressure on the QB? Last week Jeremy Beal set up a tent in the backfield but coralling the QB was difficult. In spite of that we got three INT's. Can OU force FSU into more turnovers than FSU can get from Lonnie?

The Verdict
I really think this is going to be an awesome game. FSU has a brilliant special teams player in Greg Reid. OU has brilliant return men in Broyles and Murray. I think this could be the key. Also, will Lonnie look like a true Freshman or like a guy who's started a dozen games at this level? Will the line give him some time just in case he wants to go through a progression?

I think so and the defense will be eager to put in the past last week's transgressions. Also, Sooner Nation is going to be ready to cheer long and loud. 

I of course like the Sooners.

OU 35, FSU 17

PS- Is it a good sign when, in Week 2, there's a poll in the paper asking if you'd rather have your starting QB or a guy who isn't even on campus? Note: Berry Tramel is a dick so leave it to him to start asking inane questions.

PPS- In this article on August 25th I wrote:

Will some Mouth-Breathing Knuckle-Dragging Clod on the O-Line Quit the Team Come September 2nd?
I don't know what it is about O-Linemen but it seems like a right of Autumn that one of these jackoffs has had enough of windsprints and Oklahoma Drills and quits the team. I'm always one who says if they're not tough enough to handle it we don't need them anyways. Which is true. But just this once can these jackholes keep it together long enough to develop some chemistry before Cincinnatti? Pretty please?

I'll be damned if Guard Tavaris Jeffries didn't go and get his self arrested. He's not on the two-deep but he's trying to screw things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment